STICKS & STONES is launching a new event: the Student Summit. This is not a career fair, but a conference focusing on various dimensions of being LGBTIQ+ within a University environment. Whether you are a pupil, alumni, professor, dean, or cis & straight ally, you are invited to contribute to the conversation and work towards more diverse and inclusive campus cultures. Following the results of our LGBTIQ+ Campus Index we are eager to push diversity and queering of universities in our home region of Germany, Austria, Switzerland.
Since we cannot foresee what the COVID-19 situation will be in February, the event will take place online. All you need to participate as a speaker is a laptop or tablet and strong WiFi. We are aiming for the program to consist of Talks and Workshops, which will be based on this format:
Talks (either style; 30 mins maximum — including Q&A)
• Inspirational: the discussion of an issue and its resolution, the focus being on the individual’s journey, their values and their mindset — rather than practical.
• Informative: providing facts and/or insights which visitors could apply to their life in a practical manner.
Workshop (50 mins, up to 20 visitors participating with video/audio)
The idea with the workshops is to educate and to engage. Harness the student mindset and get visitors to practically engage. We recommend providing attendees with worksheets to follow during the workshop, the slides you used, resources for future use, etc. Here’s an example of how a workshop could be delivered:
• Intro 10’
• Build understanding 20’
• Exercise 20’
• Discussion + Closing 10’
We’re looking for topics that inspire, educate, or engage. The Summit is aimed at an academic audience, with this in mind, here are some topics for inspiration:
• Tackling discrimination within a student/university context
• Community building — staff and students
• Professional development for LGBTIQ+ students
• Diversity in University associations/committees
• Inclusivity within University policies and procedures
• Mental health, body positivity and gender affirmation
• Diversity in the curriculum
• Student rights
• Personal stories from queer academics
• Queerphobia in lectures
• Housing for queer students
• Research topics on diversity, sexuality, gender identity, and so on
We look forward to reading your ideas!
Depending on the speaker, this is an incredible opportunity to represent your university, promote your work and research, and most of all to raise awareness about important subjects. We will be sure to promote you as a speaker throughout our communication channels and (with your consent) share the recording of your session on Proudr.Are you interested in joining us? Submit your application and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
STICKS & STONES is a project by UHLALA Group. Since 2009, we have been supporting, promoting and connecting LGBTIQ+ people in their careers and bringing them together with companies and organisations that appreciate their LGBTIQ+ employees.
© 2023 UHLALA GmbH — All Rights Reserved